Sunday 3 December 2017

Nicholas Blake - Head of a Traveller


Rating: 3/5

Review:
Well written but flawed



This is the first Nicholas Blake I have read and although I enjoyed aspects of it, I wasn't that keen overall.

Published in 1949, Head Of Traveller sees Nigel Strangeways in his role as a sort of unofficial police consultant called to a beautiful and ancient manor house to help in solving the murder of an unidentified corpse found close by.  It becomes plain that the family there are involved and an intricate puzzle is set involving complex time-lines and possible mistaken identities.

The book began excellently, I thought.  "Nicholas Blake" (i.e. Cecil Day-Lewis) was a fine writer and I enjoyed the style and set-up for the first 50 pages or so. Things did begin to pall a little after that, though.  Despite all the false trails and distractions, I thought the identity of the murderer was fairly plain quite early on, there is a good deal of psychologising which is largely pretty silly and in one case plain offensive, and some of the period attitudes and ignorance, especially toward a dwarf character, were pretty hard to take.

I did finish the book, which has a rather indecisive and unconventional ending, but I found it a bit of a struggle.  I can only give it a very qualified recommendation.

(I received an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment