Tuesday 26 December 2017

Joanna Cannon - Three Things About Elsie


Rating: 5/5

Review:
Enjoyable, humane and insightful



I thought Three Things About Elsie was excellent.  It is involving, humane and extremely well written.

This is the story of Florence Claybourne who is in her eighties, living in sheltered accommodation and her memory and other mental faculties are now pretty unreliable.  A man who supposedly drowned sixty years before arrives, creating a mystery and sense of menace which drives the plot of the book.

We get the story from three intercut points of view; Florence's unreliable first-person narrative and two third-person narratives from the points of view of two members of staff - Miss Ambrose, a supervisor and the handyman, Handy Simon.  It is extremely well done and has plenty to say about age, memory, attitudes to older people and so on, but it is Florence's voice which really stands out.  At times there are some strong echoes of Alan Bennett's A Cream Cracker Under The Settee, but for the most part Florence is an original and very engaging character with her own slightly eccentric but often profound take on things.  I marked lots of sentences and passages which I liked; these two brief extracts may give you a flavour:
"Elsie's father left for the war and came back as a telegram on the mantelpiece," and "I looked across the lounge and into the past.  It was more useful than the present.  There were times when the present felt so unimportant, so unnecessary.  Just somewhere I had to dip into from time to time, out of politeness."

I became involved in the mysterious plot, but it is the beautifully drawn characters, the book's humanity and insight, and Joanna Cannon's excellent writing which really counted for me.  I thought it all added up to an excellent book, which I can recommend very warmly.

(I received an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment