Thursday 7 December 2017

Janet Evanovich - Hardcore Twenty-Four


Rating: 5/5

Review:
Great fun



I thoroughly enjoyed Hardcore Twenty-Four.  Janet Evanovich has still got it – which is probably all you need to know, really.

The plot?  Oh, come on! - the plot is bonkers, of course.  It involves a giant boa constrictor and the apparent appearance of zombies in Trenton, among other things. In addition, Grandma Mazur is at the top of her eccentric game, Stephanie totals several cars which are duly replaced by Ranger and she has to choose which of three staggeringly sexy men she is going to sleep with.  (Which as Lula complains, is not fair as "I'm depending on battery-operated devices.")  No surprises there, then, which is just fine by me, because it's very funny and very readable.

After all these years and all these books, Evanovich is still coming up with great dialogue, well-painted (if somewhat implausible) characters and situations which are absurdly comic but just believable enough to make an engaging story.  It's the dry wit which really keeps me reading, though.  Little exchanges like this between Stephanie and Morelli, her cop boyfriend, for example:
"Do you have any leads on this?"
"Not a one," Morelli said.
"Lula thinks it's zombies."
"Okay, so now I have one lead.  Does she have an address for the zombies?"
The whole book is littered with this kind of stuff which kept me smiling and quite often laughing out loud.

It's not Great Literature, but who cares?  I had a great time reading this, and I can recommend it very warmly.

(I received an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment