Friday 15 December 2017

Dylan Jones - David Bowie: A Life


Rating: 4/5

Review:
Interesting and readable



This is an interesting and enjoyable collection of biographical recollections by people who knew Bowie and by Bowie himself.  Some knew him very well, others less so, but all have something to contribute.

Whether or not you like Dylan Jones (I definitely don't), he is a very capable journalist and has done a very good job here.  He knows the scene he is dealing with and has access to a lot of people that others might struggle to recruit for a book like this, so there are contributions from a lot (and I mean a *lot*) of high profile friends and collaborators of Bowie as well as childhood friends and others not in the public eye.  Jones allows them to speak for themselves (including Bowie's own words), giving their contributions verbatim (although presumably edited) rather than crafting them into a narrative written by a biographer.  I like this approach; others have called it lazy, but I like reading what people actually say rather than reading someone else's (particularly Dylan Jones's) interpretation of it, and it is structured in a way which gives it the coherence of a narrative.

It's a long book, and for me it's one to dip into a bit at a time rather than read straight through.  Some of it is a bit gossipy, but I felt it gave me a pretty rounded picture of the man and his milieu.  I don’t think this is the definitive Bowie biography, but given the nature of the man, I'm not sure there will ever be one.  However, it's an insightful, interesting and readable account of his life, his work and his influence, and I can recommend it.

(I received an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment