Monday 18 December 2017

Attica Locke - Bluebird, Bluebird


Rating: 5/5

Review:
An excellent, insightful thriller



I thought Bluebird, Bluebird was excellent.  I approached it with some trepidation, half expecting it to be grim and turgid, but I found it exciting, readable and very insightful about modern racism in the southern USA.

Darren Williams, a black Texas Ranger investigates two deaths in a small Texas town; one of a black man the second of a white woman.  Attica Locke creates a phenomenally convincing atmosphere of uneasy peace with an ever-present threat from White Supremacists and an expectation among black people of bigoted law enforcement which cannot be trusted.  Her characters are excellently drawn and very believable, although I could have done without Darren's drink problem, suspension from duty and Complicated Personal Life.  The book and his character would have been just as powerful and interesting without such over-used staples of the genre – possibly more so.  Nonetheless, this is a gripping story with plenty of emotional and political meat to it, which kept me completely hooked.  (It has also got me to listen to some of my old Lightnin' Hopkins records again, for which I'm very grateful.)

Locke writes fine, readable prose with very natural dialogue and she throws in some brilliantly evocative observations.  For example, of a black woman whose husband has been killed: "This night had opened a valve past mere grief, had touched a fear that burrowed beneath the skin of any coloured person below the shadow of the Mason-Dixon Line."  The book is peppered with gems like this.

In short, Bluebird, Bluebird is both a fine thriller and a book with important things to say about crucial social issues.  I'll be waiting for the next in the series and can warmly recommend this one.

(I received an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment