Tuesday 28 November 2017

Jennifer Egan - Manhattan Beach


Rating: 2/5

Review:
Disappointing



I'm afraid I couldn't get on with Manhattan Beach.  It's decently written and Jennifer Egan has plainly researched the period meticulously, but I found it rather turgid, with unconvincing characters and, frankly, dull.

I wholeheartedly approve of one of the central themes of this novel, in which Anna grows up in the middle years of the 20th Century and wants to become a naval diver, battling the attitudes of the time toward women.  The trouble is that Egan never managed to bring either Anna or the story truly alive for me.  I found her style rather plodding and off-putting, with the occasional sentence like "Beyond the windows of an adjacent front room, the sea tingled under a thin winter sun," which just felt mannered to me.  I also think that Egan is rather too keen on showing us exactly how much detailed research she has done, rather than simply using it unobtrusively to paint a convincing background, so wading through it all became a bit of a chore after a while.

As a result of all this, I found Manhattan Beach a real struggle.  I had expected to like it very much, but ended up skimming some parts and feeling rather relieved to have finished it.  Others have found it very good, but personally I can't recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment