Monday 20 November 2017

Joe Ide - Righteous


Rating: 5/5

Review:
Another cracker from Joe Ide



This is another excellent crime novel from Joe Ide.  I loved IQ and approached this follow-up with a little trepidation in case he couldn't keep up the standard, but I needn't have worried.  It's at least as good as the first.  (It can be read as a stand-alone, but it helps a lot to have read IQ first.)

In Righteous, Isaiah is investigating the death of his beloved brother Marcus eight years earlier and gets a call from Marcus's ex-girlfriend who wants him to help her sister – a gambling addict in big debt and big trouble in Las Vegas.  It all gets tangled up with gangs, triads and moneylenders; the plot becomes convoluted but comprehensible and it's all reasonably plausible and very exciting.

Joe Ide's writing is excellent.  The dialogue, especially, is brilliantly realistic and often very funny while his prose just carried me along and hijacked my day because I couldn't stop reading.  Isaiah and Dodson are engaging, imperfect protagonists whom I am coming to love, the story is thrilling and there's some shrewd observation there, too. 

I think this series will be a real giant of crime fiction.  It's already excellent and I can recommend Righteous very warmly indeed - it's an absolutely cracking read.

(I received an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment