Friday 29 May 2020

Susie Steiner - Remain Silent


Rating: 5/5

Review:
A great read

I thought Remain Silent was excellent. It is readable, has genuine content and quite brilliant characterisation.

This is the third Manon Bradshaw novel. I’ve not (yet) read the previous two but it works fine as a stand-alone. Manon is a Detective Inspector in the Cambridgeshire Constabulary, this time investigating the death of a migrant worker from Lithuania. The plot is nicely structured and I found it refreshingly free of implausible action, but it moves along well and hangs together – two things which are by no means universally true of police procedurals. Susie Steiner also gives a fine, nuanced (and sometimes horrifying) view of migrant labour in East Anglia and of the reaction from local residents.

What makes this special, though is Steiner’s portraits of her central characters, most notably Manon herself. She is a wholly believable middle-aged woman coping with a family, her career and the irritations and difficulties of life. She seems so utterly human in her responses and her internal monologue, which seems to me to be the voice of a real, likeable, flawed person rather than just a novelist’s Character Study or yet another detective given a Complex Personal Life for Interesting Background. She is also very funny at times and exceptionally wise about marriage and relationships. I love the way she flip-flops between loving her partner and family desperately and thinking it’s all an oppressive, stultifying mistake – sometimes both at once. I have been half in love with easful Manon.

I’d not read any Susie Steiner before and this was a delightful discovery for me. I shall certainly be reading the others in the series and I can recommend this very warmly indeed.

(My thanks to HarperCollins for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment