Thursday 28 May 2020

Christopher Fowler - Oranges and Lemons


Rating: 5/5

Review:
A real treat
I loved Oranges and Lemons. It’s very well written, witty, involving and a good, if slightly implausible mystery.

I hadn’t read the immediate predecessor, The Lonely Hour; there have been some pretty cataclysmic events in that which shape the beginning of Oranges and Lemons and it’s probably best to read it first if possible but I managed fine without. This time a series of murders occurs, apparently linked to the eponymous rhyme, and the PCU is reformed to try to get to the bottom of them. Bryant is in his element, with his encyclopaedic and arcane knowledge of London and the unit is generally in fine form. I laughed out loud several times, was hugely entertained and genuinely involved with the characters. There are fascinating bits of obscure London history, some amusing and well-aimed swipes at some of the idiocies of modern life and plenty more of real substance along with the story and the humour.

I’d only read one Bryant & May before this - Hall Of Mirrors, which I wasn’t especially taken with. I’m glad I gave them another try because this was a real treat and I’ll definitely be reading more from this series. Very warmly recommended.

(My thanks to Random House, Doubleday for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment