Wednesday 6 May 2020

Georges Simenon - Three Bedrooms In Manhattan


Rating: 1/5

Review:
Soulless, purposeless and miserable

I didn’t like Three Bedrooms In Manhattan. I enjoy the Maigret books very much but I found this a disappointment.

It’s fairly plotless: a French actor has ended up in New York with little money left (although enough for an awful lot of whiskey drinking) and meets an enigmatic woman whose life story is hard to believe and they embark on a strange few days of walking through New York, drinking, lovemaking and the odd bout of misogynistic violence. It’s intended to be an intense character study (something Simenon was usually very good at) but it didn’t work for me at all. I didn’t really believe in the characters and I certainly didn’t care about them. There is a strong whiff of second-rate existentialist writing here, in that everything is a bit bleak, the protagonist does inexplicable things in an alienated way, and so on. It all seemed soulless and miserable to no purpose and I’m afraid it’s a genre that I can’t stand.

So, not for me, then. I’m afraid I gave up about two-thirds of the way through because I just couldn’t slog through any more. Give me a Maigret any day, but I can’t recommend this.

(My thanks to Penguin Books for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment