Monday 4 May 2020

Louise Penny - A Fatal Grace


Rating: 5/5

Review:
A delight

This series is becoming a real delight. I enjoyed the first one; this, the second, was just great and I am now hooked.

Here, Gamache and his team return to Three Pines in the dead of winter to investigate the bizarre murder of a deeply unpleasant woman. The convoluted means of the murder make the resolution of the story slightly silly in the end, but by that time I didn’t mind one bit. Louise Penny’s writing is so good and the characters she creates are so well done that the details of the plot become secondary. The setting is superbly done and the cold of the Quebec winter is so vividly evoked that I almost began to feel it myself.

An enduring plot strand begins to emerge here – as if I needed any more reason to continue with this series. One advantage of coming to them late is that I still have so many to look forward to and I shall definitely be reading the lot. Very warmly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment