Sunday 10 May 2020

Matt Parker - Humble Pi


Rating: 5/5

Review
Brilliant

I thought Humble Pi was simply brilliant. It is fascinating and very funny in places.

Matt Parker is both a mathematician and a comedian, both of which show strongly here. He gives us a book crammed with extremely interesting examples of the importance of maths in our world and of what can go wrong when the maths isn’t done right. These extend from bridge disasters and medical tragedies to glitches in computer games, financial fiddles and so on.

It sounds like the sort of book where I’d normally expect to read a couple of chapters, take a break and come back to it, but it is so interesting and so entertaining that I read the whole thing from start to finish with great pleasure. Parker writes with flair and real wit, with the odd laugh-out-loud one-liner, too. I found it an absolute joy and even if you’re not very interested in maths, I can recommend this very warmly indeed.

(My thanks to Penguin Books for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment