Wednesday 12 July 2017

Mark Barry - Overlooked Albums 1955-1979


Rating: 5

Review:
An excellent guide



I have enjoyed and benefited from Mark Barry's excellent reviews on Amazon for years so I thought I'd be in safe hands with this – and I was right.  It's a really good resource as well as an enjoyable read.

Mark has worked in rare recordings for decades so he really knows what he's talking about, as well as having a genuine love of this music.  It shows; each album gets a thorough analysis which is a pleasure to read and often an inspiration to go and listen.  I'm pleased to say that quite a lot of these albums are in my collection (although my wife isn't quite so enthusiastic about the number of old LPs in the place) and just a day or two after buying this book I've already been sent back to several of them with great pleasure – and with bemusement that I haven't listened to them for so long.  There is also detailed and really useful information about which issue to buy and what is included/missing from various editions.

Naturally, in a book of this magnitude, covering the best part of 400 albums, Mark's opinions and taste don't always coincide with mine; I regard I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight by Richard and Linda Thompson and Nick Drake's Five Leaves Left, among quite a few others, as genuine Classic Albums rather than overlooked ones, for example.  But that's only natural; I agree with the great majority of what he says, and even where I don't it's interesting and stimulating. 

The formatting is OK: you can access each article via the List of Contents in the Menu, but there are no live links in the text.  The titles in the Contents are long, so it's not always easy to se what's going on in the Menu list, but I've got on pretty well.  I understand that Mark is working on the formatting to improve this.


Nonetheless, this is a book to cherish for me.  I can see it sending me off to listen to an awful lot of music I've never heard or haven't listened to for years (and also trying to smuggle more purchases past my wife).  Very warmly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment