Saturday 29 July 2017

Adrian McKinty - Police At The Station...


Rating: 5/5

Review:
An excellent addition to a fine series



I have enjoyed every book in the Sean Duffy series; they have definitely got better as we have gone along and I think this is the best yet.

Here, Duffy is still a DI in Belfast in 1988.  This time, the investigation of the murder of a drug dealer leads him into grave personal danger from powerful enemies in both the IRA and the RUC.  The plot is intriguing and gripping with some very exciting passages, but as ever it is the setting and characters – not least Duffy himself – which make this special. 

McKinty has really developed into a very fine writer; the prose is excellent and Duffy's narrative voice is completely convincing.  The other characters are all very well painted and his portrayal of the mood, politics and complex loyalties of the times seems absolutely real to me.  Duffy's developing personal life is also a major asset (which is by no means always the case in such series) and I found this a gripping, thrilling and very satisfying read.

I can warmly recommend Police At The Station.  This is developing into one of the finest police series of our time, I think, and I'm already looking forward to the next instalment.

No comments:

Post a Comment