Saturday 1 July 2017

Maile Meloy - Do Not Become Alarmed


Rating: 2/5

Review:
Dull and unconvincing



I'm afraid I didn't get on with this book at all  It is billed as  heart-racing story, but I simply found it unengaging and rather dull.

As the publisher's synopsis reveals, two wealthy and successful American families go on a Christmas cruise to Central America, where their children become separated from the adults.  It takes about 75 pages to get to this point, and those pages are filled with details of characters' lives and their activities on the cruise which I found unconvincing, pretty boring and not very well-written.  I'm afraid things don't improve much once the plot finally kicks in.  I just didn't find the story very plausible and I thought the characters were rather thin and in some cases a bit stereotypic.  I slogged dutifully on to the end, but I rather wish I hadn't bothered because the book didn't engage me in any way.

I'm sorry to be so critical, but that's the truth of it.  Others may well enjoy this more than I did, but I really can't recommend it.

(I received an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment