Friday 14 July 2017

Daniel Silva - House Of Spies


Rating: 4/5

Review:
An enjoyable spy novel



I enjoyed House Of Spies but I did have my reservations about it.

There is a lot to enjoy here.  Daniel Silva creates a good story of terrorist atrocities and the subsequent joint operation between the Intelligence Agencies of Israel, Britain, France and the USA to locate and kill the jihadi mastermind behind them, with whom the main protagonist Gabriel Allon and his fellow Israeli agents have a lot of history.  The detail and careful plotting hang together well, there is a convincing picture of the jockeying for position between the Agencies and the characters are pretty well painted.  The later parts of the book are very exciting in places and it's a very decent read a lot of the time.

I did think that some of the storytelling was a bit clunky.  I'm all for detail and careful scene-setting for realism, but a little tightening up might have helped things along in the early stages.  Silva isn't shy of a cliché, either, and stale usages like "thick as thieves", "fight tooth and nail,"  people talking  about "our little subterfuge"  and so on crop up often enough to intrude. 

Nonetheless, I enjoyed the book overall and I can recommend it as a decent read – especially for a day on the beach or the like.

(I received an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment