Thursday 16 March 2017

Donald Jack - That's Me In The Middle (Bandy Papers 2)


Rating: 4/5

Review:
Another enjoyable episode



I am enjoying the Bandy Papers series.  Like the first volume, I found That's Me In The Middle a bit variable but never less than enjoyable and exceptionally good in places.

Bandy spends the first half of the book as Top Brass in London, giving Jack an opportunity for some well aimed potshots at official incompetence and infighting, treacherous politicians and so on.  There is also the usual smattering of pure farce and Bandy's endearingly hopeless social and romantic escapades.  This part is well written and amusing but nothing that special, I think.  It's very Wodehousian, with some episodes very reminiscent of Sir Roderick Spode and Edwin the Boy Scout, but it didn't really engage me.

As before, it is when Bandy returns to the fighting, with Jack's brilliant balance of humour and the terror of war, that the book really excels.  He manages to make the narrative both funny and exciting, and captures both the chaotic nature of the combat and its genuine horror.  It reminded me a little in tone of the excellent TV drama The Wipers Times and these passages, making up most of the second half of the book, had me completely riveted.

Parts of this are quite outstanding - and if you have more of a taste for farce than I do, you will enjoy all of it very much.  I will certainly be reading Volume Three (It's Me Again), and I can recommend this one.

(I received an ARC via Netgalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment