Friday 10 March 2017

Boris Akunin - The State Counsellor


Rating: 3/5

Review:
Not for me



I didn't get on very well with The State Counsellor.  It's a novel setting for a crime story and it's reasonably well done, but it just didn't ever quite engage me, I'm afraid.

Set in late 19th Century Tsarist Russia, Fandorin is a state security operative who acts rather like an Imperially appointed Sherlock Holmes.  Here he investigates the murder of a very highly placed official who has received numerous threats from an anarchist group.  Needless to say, the politics of the situation become very involved, but Fandorin is the equal of it all. 

The setting was pretty well done, as was the sense of political skulduggery and shifting factions and the story was decent if rather run-of-the-mill.  Somehow, though, this never took off or involved me much; the characters were all a bit thin, the plot wasn't really enough to hold my attention and the writing was over-wordy and often had a stale, almost clichéd feel – possibly due to the translation rather than the original.  Phrases like "they waited with bated breath", for example, began to get pretty wearisome after a while.

So, this wasn't for me.  It's not actually bad and others have enjoyed it very much, but I can't really recommend it.

(I received an ARC via Netgalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment