Thursday 30 March 2017

B.E. Jones - Where She Went


Rating: 4/5

Review
An enjoyable read



This is a decent psychological thriller and I enjoyed most of it.

The story is narrated by Melanie Black.  Within the first few pages it emerges that she is dead.  She comes to in a strange house to find that she is a "g-word" (this is rather amusingly handled).  The story of how she came to die, and why she has ended up in this house with this family emerges skilfully and it's a well told tale.  Melanie was a broadcast journalist when alive, which is the author's profession, too, and there are a lot of shrewd, often quite scathing comments and interludes about TV news.  B.E. Jones creates pretty believable characters, I liked the Swansea setting (although we don't get all that much of it) and it's an enjoyable read.

I have to say that it got a bit silly.  The character back-stories were OK for a while, but lost some credibility as more things emerged.  Nonetheless, I found this a well written and pretty engaging, if disposable read and I can recommend it.

(I received an ARC via Netgalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment