Monday 6 March 2017

Caitlin Moran - Moranifesto


Rating: 5/5

Review:
Very insightful and very funny



Rather to my shame, I've not read much of Caitlin Moran's work before so I took the chance to sample some of her work here – and it's brilliant. 

Moran's writing is genuinely funny, genuinely intelligent and genuinely incredibly readable.  Whatever she is writing about, she brings an often laugh-out-loud wit to it but there is real intellectual depth in it, too.  There is a lot of thoughtful and perceptive social and political analysis here and it's a joy to read pieces which often make very serious, important points while remaining readable and engaging enough to really involve you.  And, of course, there are the plain hilarious pieces dealing with such profound subjects as Daft Punk's single Get Lucky.

I expected this to be a book which I would dip into, read a few pieces and then read something else for  a break before returning.  It's the opposite – I enjoyed it so much that I just kept lapping it up and had to tear myself away.   Back in the 80s I used to read P.J. O'Rourke, even though I profoundly disagreed with his politics, because he wrote so well and so funnily and because he made me think.  Caitlin Moran has a similar effect on me – with the added bonus that I agree with her on pretty well everything. 

Quite simply, this book was a slightly unexpected joy for me, and I can recommend it wholeheartedly.

(I received an ARC via Netgalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment