Tuesday 6 August 2019

Peter Maughan - The Ghost Of Artemus Strange


Rating: 3/5

Review:
Amiable but not great

Although I quite enjoyed Artemus Strange overall, I had some quite strong reservations about it.

This is the fifth of the Batch Magna series; I have read the first which I liked but none of the others. Here, Sir Humph and Clem are looking for ways to raise money to keep the Hall going and the residents of Batch Magna come up with a scheme to attract people by invoking the ghost of a young man, heroically killed in the Hall during the Civil War. It’s amiable enough fun and Peter Maughan writes very well, but I thought the real strength of the first book was the sense of the rural community, its characters and atmosphere, and especially the descriptions of nature which were exceptionally good; all of these are much less in evidence here.

This book does have charm, but not in the same degree, I thought. There’s a lengthy caper in the seedier parts of East End London which didn’t do a lot for me and while there are moments of genuine human feeling and insight (which Maughan did so well in the first book) they are thinly scattered and more subservient to a rather pantomimic story.

I can’t recommend this with the warmth with which I greeted The Cuckoos Of Batch Magna, I’m afraid. It’s a well-written, amiable read, but not much more.

(My thanks to Prelude for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment