Sunday 4 August 2019

James Ellroy - The Black Dahlia


Rating: 3/5

Review:
Atmospheric but flawed

The Black Dahlia has had lots of rave reviews, but although it is very well written I thought it was quite badly flawed.

Set in late-1940s L.A., the story is told by Bucky Bleichart, a cop who becomes involved in and then obsessed by the sickeningly horrible murder of a young woman who comes to be known as The Back Dahlia. It’s a convoluted tale of corruption, brutality and of Bleichart’s near breakdown as his behaviour becomes more and more extreme in pursuit of his obsession. The period and the atmosphere are very well done, and Ellroy doesn’t flinch from describing sickening violence and brutality, nor from the language and attitudes of the time. I think this is quite justified, but the homophobia, sexism, racism, anti-Semitism and pretty well any other -ism you can think of are starkly portrayed in language which today is quite shocking.

It’s very well done and extremely atmospheric. My problem is that I didn’t find the story and the motivations, including Bleichart’s behaviour, very convincing. I thought the first third or so was very good but the book seemed over-long and poorly structured and, frankly, I was glad to finally get to the end.

So, I’m a rather dissenting voice. I can see the book’s merits, but I have some pretty strong reservations and I’m not sure I’ll be going back for more of this quartet.

No comments:

Post a Comment