Saturday 24 August 2019

Louise Penny - Still Life


Rating: 4/5

Review:
Very enjoyable

I enjoyed Still Life. I hadn’t read Louise Penny before; she was a recommendation by a friend and I’ll certainly be reading more in this series.

Set in a small town in Quebec, Penny creates a fine sense of place and of the French/English politics of the place which often run below the surface. Her characters are excellently drawn and Gamache is a thoughtful, engaging protagonist. The plot involves the death of a much-liked and respected woman and reminded me in structure of Agatha Christie, with a closed community, red herrings, revelations and so on. Penny’s characters are much richer than Christie’s, though, and this is what gives the book its quality. I found it very engaging and readable – although I could have done without an implausible “climax” which, in contrast to the rest of the book, seemed formulaic and rather silly.

I’m looking forward to the rest of this series and can warmly recommend Still Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment