Friday 30 August 2019

Ann Cleeves - The Long Call


Rating: 3/5

Review:
Disappointing

This is the first Ann Cleeves that I have read and I was looking forward to it. Sadly, I was rather disappointed.

The Long Call is the first in a new series featuring DI Matthew Venn, who has recently moved back to his childhood home in North Devon. He is estranged from his parents and the strictly religious group in which he grew up because he is gay and has married another man. A body found on a beach leads Matthew into an investigation which (of course) involves this group and also the arts and day centre for learning disabled people run by his husband.

Ann Cleeves generates a good sense of place and it’s good to see gay and learning-disabled characters at the forefront of the story...but the story just isn’t all that well done. There are lots of great, indigestible chunks of characters’ history, quite often of characters who aren’t that important, the whole thing moves very slowly and I got quite bored at times. The “It’s Personal” aspects felt like a well-worn literary device rather than a natural part of the story and there is (of course) a Race Against Time toward the end with some pretty implausible Investigator In Peril stuff which all felt very formulaic - although we were at least spared a clichéd Cornered Killer Climax.

I did finish the book, but it was a bit of a slog and I’m not inclined to pursue the series. Personally, I can’t really recommend it. (2.5 stars rounded up to 3.)

(My thanks to Macmillan for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment