Friday 12 July 2019

Tom Chatfield - This Is Gomorrah


Rating: 4/5

Review:
Very good but a weak ending

I enjoyed a lot of This Is Gomorrah very much. For a good deal of its length I found it well written, witty, rather insightful in places and genuinely exciting. Sadly, for the last quarter or so it declined into a rather silly, generic-feeling cyber-thriller.

The set up is good. Azi is a cyber-geek in London who spends time on the dark web where he has cleverly set up a false identity to infiltrate and sabotage far-right groups. This brings him into contact with Gomorrah, a very sinister organisation on the dark web who deal in all sorts of highly unsavoury things and whose dark purpose becomes gradually clearer throughout the book. Azi suddenly finds himself caught up in a real-world web of espionage and terrorism in which everyone seems untrustworthy and he is on the run with powerful people trying to kill him.

It all sounds pretty familiar, almost stale stuff, but Tom Chatfield makes it feel very fresh. He writes very well, there is genuine wit here, laced with some sharp observations, plausible detail and decently drawn characters, all of which makes for a good story. For a while I thought this might be a five-star book, but the denouement (which I obviously can’t say anything about) let the book down badly for me. It was just plain silly and rather clumsily done, I thought, and I was disappointed by it. I have given it four stars on the basis of the first part of the book, but only just in the end.

This is plainly being set this up as a series. I like Azi as a character and Chatfield writes well so I may well try the next one, but I can only give This Is Gomorrah a rather qualified recommendation.

(My thanks to Hodder and Stoughton for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment