Thursday 25 July 2019

Kate Weinberg - The Truants


Rating: 4/5

Review:
An impressive debut

Overall, I enjoyed The Truants, but it did drag a bit in the middle especially.

The book is narrated by Jess, looking back six years or so to 2012 when she was an eighteen-year-old first-year student at an unnamed university bearing a strong resemblance to the University Of East Anglia. Studying English, she falls under the spell of Lorna, a charismatic female lecturer, and also of a wealthy, drug-dependent fellow student and her maverick older boyfriend. It’s a story of love, desire, betrayal, lies and growing up.

Kate Weinberg writes very well. The book is literary without ever becoming pretentious and she creates very believable characters with a fine sense of growing foreboding. Jess’s voice is excellently done and it’s very readable, with a death and important revelations making the second half of the book very gripping.

Perhaps it’s me – as a gent in his mid-60s I’m perhaps not the ideal audience for a lengthy exploration of the emotional life of a slightly withdrawn post-adolescent woman – but I almost gave up around half way. It was all well written and well done, but it began to feel a bit familiar and drawn out. I really needed something to actually happen; fortunately, I persisted and things did happen soon enough for me to enjoy the second half very much.

So, a slightly qualified recommendation but this is an impressive debut and I’ll certainly be looking out for Kate Weinberg’s next book.

(My thanks to Bloomsbury for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment