Friday 12 July 2019

Sarah Hilary - Never Be Broken


Rating: 3/5

Review:
Not a great addition to the series

I wasn’t all that keen on Never Be Broken. Sarah Hilary is a good writer, but the reservations I have about this series as a whole are rather greater for this episode.

Hilary is dealing with important issues of knife crime and the use of children as drugs couriers, but as a book this never really engaged me. Marnie Rome takes something of a back seat and the book is largely about Noah Jake – for me far too much about him personally at the expense of the plot and the issues at stake. I have had a sense of this imbalance in quite a few of the previous books, but here it really did spoil things for me, I’m afraid.

I’m plainly in a minority about this, but Never Be Broken didn’t really do it for me and I won’t be rushing to read the next in the series.

(My thanks to Headline for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment