Saturday 6 July 2019

Howard Jacobson - Live A Little


Rating: 4/5

Review:
Excellent - in the end

I enjoyed Live A Little very much in the end. It is witty, insightful and rather touching, but I found the first two-thirds or so a bit of a slog.

This is a story of two people in their eighties and nineties respectively who have very different pasts and views of themselves. Shimi Carmelli is cursed with remembering almost everything – especially his shames and embarrassments which are many. (“A butterfly doesn’t beat its wings in China without Shimi feeling it is his fault or at leasts reflects badly on him.”) Beryl Duisenbery, on the other hand, is losing her memory, while trying to write a memoir of her imperiously lived life (“Who the hell cares, anyway, she thinks. It’s true if I say it is. It’s true if I recall it that way.”)

We spend the first two-thirds of the book getting to know Beryl and Shimi, allowing Jacobson time to develop his characters while throwing witty barbs at politics of both shades, artists, elderly widows and plenty of other targets. It’s well done and fantastically well written, of course, and they are interesting characters but I did find that it meandered a bit. The book really takes off when Beryl and Shimi finally meet and their relationship brings about some surprising and sometimes genuinely touching revelations, confessions and redemptions of a kind. Here, I think Jacobson has important things to say about loneliness, the impact of shame on a life and about relationships in general.

I laughed several times and was moved, too and in spite of my reservations about the length of the first section, I can recommend Live A Little as a rewarding read.

(My thanks to Vintage for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment