Wednesday 14 February 2018

Walter Mosely - Down The River Unto The Sea


Rating: 5/5

Review:
A very good crime novel



I really enjoyed Down The River Unto the Sea.  I read and liked the early Easy Rawlins novels, but ran into diminishing returns with them and haven't read any Walter Mosely since.  I was very pleased to find that he seems to have begun a new, very good series.

Joe King Oliver is a disgraced NYPD detective who was framed and kicked off the force a decade before the book opens.  He is now working as a private detective and is asked to take a case investigating the conviction of a man for shooting two police officers for which he is sentenced to death.  He also begins to look into the circumstances of his own downfall on the force, and the two appear to be related somehow.

It's a very well told story.  Mosely writes very good prose and Joe's narrative voice is extremely convincing, as is the milieu of New York's underworld.  He creates excellent, believable characters, especially Joe himself, who is flawed but fundamentally honest and decent – and gravely damaged by his experience in prison.  That experience is evoked brilliantly; it's a fairly brief but exceptionally powerful passage, and all the more affecting for not being laboured.  His relationship with his teenage daughter is also exceptionally well done, I thought.  I found the story very good (although he does meet an awful lot of people so it's not easy to keep track of the characters) and I was gripped throughout.

In summary, this is a gripping, readable crime novel with some genuine weight, too.  I can recommend it warmly and I look forward to more Joe Oliver.

(My thanks to Weidenfeld and Nicolson for and ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment