Thursday 8 February 2018

Tony Parsons - Girl On Fire


Rating: 4/5

Review:
A good, gripping novel



This is the first of the DC Max Wolfe books that I have read and I enjoyed it.  It works fine as a stand-alone novel, but I think it would have been better if I'd read at least some of the earlier ones – which I intend to do now.

Girl On Fire has one of the best, most arresting openings I can remember.  The first sentence is "I woke up and the world was gone," and we learn very soon that Max has been caught up in a terrorist outrage and the scenes which follow are quite brilliantly done.  The phrase "You had me at 'hello'" sprang to mind and although the remainder of the book couldn't quite keep up the stellar standard, it was an engrossing and exciting read.  Max and various police colleagues deal with the aftermath of the incident – tracing suspects, knocking down doors, dealing with public reaction to events – and it's all pretty plausibly done.  Throughout, there runs the story of Max as a single father and his relationship with his daughter (and his ex-wife) which makes a good backdrop and also has important things to say.

Tony Parsons writes very well.  He has an easy, flowing prose style and Max's narrative voice is very convincing.  There is a tendency to indulge occasionally in slightly stilted homilies about things like single fathers, liberal democracy and so on, but generally I found it an easy, gripping read.  My only other reservation is that it's pretty unremittingly grim; a small leaven of humour would have helped a lot.  Books on similar themes by, for example, Mick Herron or Khurrum Rahman (whose East Of Hounslow I thought very good) achieve this and may be rather more effective in their message as a result.

In short, this is a good, involving crime novel with some intellectual weight.  Recommended.


(My thanks to Random House for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment