Sunday 25 February 2018

Lisa Halliday - Asymmetry


Rating: 2/5

Review:
Not for me



I made it about a third of the way through Asymmetry before deciding that life was too short and giving up.  I just became thoroughly bored and rather irritated.

It's all very well written, but it had that style-over-substance feel that, frankly, just annoys me. The annoyance isn't as extreme as with Satin Island, for example, which made me want to hunt down the author and give him a good slap, but it has the same sense of a writer implying that the reader needs to be exceptionally clever and knowledgeable to be worthy of reading their brilliant work, while not actually saying anything very insightful or original (or possibly anything at all).  There just seems to be page after page of fine writing, convincing dialogue, well-painted background and so on, but which added up to very little as far as I could see. 

I also found a distinct air of intellectual snobbery about it.  Lengthy, unattributed passages from books appear and then vanish with little clue as to their source (or relevance), or they go to a concert about which we are told nothing in advance and then get, "…she flung up her wrists, flared her nostrils, and the Hammerklavier was sprung from its cage…"  Deliberately structuring the narrative like this so that the reader is excluded if they don't recognise cultural references seems to me to have a self-congratulatory tone that I really don't like.  I make no claim to be especially cultured; I've read enough Primo Levi to recognise a passage of his, I know and like Beethoven's piano music and so on, but there was plenty here that I didn't know and couldn't place.  I'm always very happy to learn more, but I am not willing to be condescended to.

A friend of mine tried to encourage me to continue by saying that she "found Part 1 the hardest to wade through" which, frankly, didn't seem like the strongest of motivations to carry on.  It's possible that the later sections would have entranced and delighted me, but having stuck at it as long as I could, I couldn't be bothered to find out.  I have given the book two stars rather than one because it is well written, but I'm afraid Asymmetry was definitely not for me.

(My thanks to Granta for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment