Sunday 11 February 2018

Jonathan Lynn - Mayday


Rating: 3/5

Review: 
Not Jonathan Lynn's best work



Jonathan Lynn is a brilliant comic writer, but I didn't think Mayday added up to all that much in the end.

First published in 1993, this is the story of Ernest Mayday, a cynical and grumpy Englishman and writer of potboilers who has moved to Hollywood to work but who finds himself blocked.  His girlfriend is heavily involved in a "church" whose founder and guru is about to be tried for financial and sexual misconduct.  Mayday becomes embroiled in a clever, convoluted scheme to try to get the inside story and adapt it for his next novel, while at the same time pitching a screenplay for an adaptation of an earlier book.

It is all very well written and it's a decent story, but it did feel a bit stale to me, I'm afraid.  The targets of Lynn's satire are all thoroughly deserving of ridicule; vacuous intellectual pretentiousness, the shallowness and dishonesty of the film business, exploitative fake religions, the mangling of language and so on…but they have all been pretty thoroughly skewered both before and since Mayday was published.  This ended up feeling a bit like an amalgam of Evelyn Waugh's The Loved One, The Bonfire Of The Vanities (which Lynn explicitly references) and the TV series Episodes.  The story just managed to keep me reading and is cleverly twisty, but it did get very wordy and preachy, especially in the last few chapters, and in the end I was rather glad to finish the book.

For me, this hasn't aged all that well and for a comedy genius like Jonathan Lynn, I don’t think it counts among his best work.  It's OK, but no more, I think.

(I received an ARC via NetGalley.)


No comments:

Post a Comment