Sunday 10 September 2017

Nathan Englander - Dinner At The Centre Of The Earth


Rating: 4/5

Review:
Very good - eventually



I very nearly gave up half way through this book, but I'm glad I didn’t.  The first half is slow, mannered and rather uninteresting but it does become quite a gripping and thought-provoking read.

This is really a book about the Israel-Palestine conflict and how it really affects some individuals involved.  It's a complex structure in which three seemingly unrelated narratives, separated in place and time, intercut with each other.  For almost half the book I found this unengaging and frankly quite irritating; it seemed to be a lot of style for its own sake while telling us so little that it didn't make much sense.  It's not helped by some lengthy recounting of the semi-hallucinatory recollections of an unconscious and dying man (a barely disguised Ariel Sharon) which is a device which almost never works for me. 

However, when things finally begin to happen and the connections between the characters become a little clearer the stories really did engage me.  There are some genuinely exciting espionage moments and also penetrating studies of people on both sides of the conflict, as well as those who are ideologically and emotionally caught between the two, raising some complex moral issues which are very well handled.  There is also a touching and convincing love story and a remarkable account of the relationship between a long-term prisoner and his guard, including an extraordinarily moving dénouement, both of which I thought were exceptionally well done.

So, despite its flaws, I thought this was a good, worthwhile book in the end.  It's worth persevering even if you find the first half rather tough going – it's worth it in the end, and I can recommend this.

(I received an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment