Friday 15 September 2017

Kamila Shamsie - Home Fire


Rating: 5/5

Review:
Absolutely excellent



I thought this was absolutely excellent.  I had to be persuaded to read it because the idea of an updated Antigone about terrorism, radicalisation and its consequences didn't appeal at all.  In fact, I found it gripping, convincing and very moving as well as saying important things about modern Britain – and the world.

The story is told successively from several points of view, which worked very well for me.  We have members of the Muslim Pasha family in North London plus a Muslim Home Secretary, determined to show the world that he is tough on radical Islam, and his son who becomes involved with the Pasha family.  I won't give any spoilers, but what emerges is beautifully evoked responses from all the characters involved, whose internal lives are convincing and vividly real.  The complexities, deceits and decencies of what happens are exceptionally well done, and I found the whole thing completely involving and ultimately extremely moving.

Kamila Shamsie writes beautifully.  Her prose is extremely readable and simply carried me along.  She creates some beautiful, evocative sentences; for example:  "The sky was a rich blue, the water surged like blood leaving a heart, a lean young man from a world very distant from hers was waiting for her to walk back to him."  Or: "Months after their mother died, Parvaiz, a boy suddenly arrived into adolescence in a house where bills and grief filled all crevices…"  It's wonderful writing.

I was surprised by how very much I liked this book.  It's one of the best I've read for some time, and warmly recommended.

(I received an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment