Saturday 16 September 2017

Alexander Starritt - The Beast


Rating: 2/5

Review:
Unsubtle and unfunny



Journalists, it has to be said, don't always make good novelists.  Some certainly do (Terry Stisatny is a recent fine example) but I'm afraid I don’t think the same can be said of Aleaxander Starritt and I really didn't get on with The Beast.  It is intended as a satire of an unscrupulous, bigoted and bombastic tabloid newspaper whose staff indulge in all kinds of horrendous practices to twist, distort and outright lie in order to create stories which will outrage their supposedly bigoted readership, boost circulation and shift the mood of the country.  Starritt has lived and worked in that world, so it's possibly an accurate (or at least semi-accurate) picture of what goes on, but as satire, or even a readable story, I found it sadly lacking. 

The present-day story is set in the fictional newspaper from Evelyn Waugh's Scoop, but there the comparison ends.  Where Waugh is witty and scalpel sharp, I found Starritt plodding, unfunny and very, very predictable.  This isn't a new area for satire (especially following the News International phone-hacking scandal) and The Beast felt tired and unoriginal, with stock characters, rather a clunky feel and a story which is sordid and depressing without the necessary leaven of wit and clear-sighted originality which is essential in good satire.  We get plenty of intricate detail of office politics which dilutes the central story further.  Starritt even makes it obvious from the geography of The Beast's offices that it's really the Daily Mail; now the Mail may well deserve this sort of bashing, but here it just removes more of the subtlety required in such a book – and there wasn't much to start with.

I got thoroughly fed up with The Beast.  I found it an increasing struggle to read, increasingly unpleasant and wholly unrelieved by the humour and satire I had hoped for.  I'm sorry to be so critical, but that's the truth and I really can't recommend it.

(I received an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment