Friday 22 September 2017

Mark Barry - There's Something About 1970


Rating: 5/5

Review: 
An excellent guide



This is another excellent compilation of reviews from Mark Barry.  His Overlooked Albums has steered me to some real gems which I didn't know, and There's Something About 1970 is doing the same.  I was 16 in 1970 so I knew quite a lot of these albums and quite a few of them are enduring classics anyway - Layla and Déjà vu are just a couple of irrefutable examples – but I missed quite a bit

Mark is extremely knowledgeable, having worked in Vintage and Rare records for many years.  He has an obviously genuine love for the music he writes about and extremely wide taste.  The book includes albums from a huge range of genres: folk, hard rock, reggae, free jazz, soul, honest-to-God pop, and so on.  This means that there are many albums I love, some I'm not that fussed about and a few that I can't stand – which is just as it should be.  The definition of 1970 is a little flexible, but if it has to stretch to releases in November 1969 or March 1971 in order to include Joe Cocker's second album and Bryter Later by Nick Drake, for example, that's just fine by me.

There's plenty of stuff here that I didn't know and am glad to explore and Mark is an excellent guide throughout, with thorough, readable reviews and really good advice on which editions or re-releases to buy for best sound and best value.  It's a cracking book, which I can recommend very warmly.

No comments:

Post a Comment