Monday 21 December 2015

Ryan David Jahn - The Dispatcher


Rating: 4/5

Review:
A good thriller

I thought this was a very good, well-written thriller which I enjoyed far more than I thought I would. The book revolves around the disappearance of a child and the effect on all those around her, and the attempt by her father to recover her once he realises she is sill alive. These are very well-worn themes, but Jahn makes them fresh and gripping and gives some very sharp insights into the minds and motivations of those involved. The characters seemed very believable to me, and the bleakness of both the Texas landscape and the lives of some of the protagonists is very well evoked. The narrative grips from the start and doesn't let go, and I was utterly hooked for most of the book.

Jahn's prose is excellent - spare and precise, it uses just the right description of an event or thought process to bring the whole thing vividly, and sometimes horribly, to life. The almost flat style contrasts with the sometimes violent and extremely gruesome story, making it all the more real to me and built the tension remarkably effectively.

I thought this was several cuts above the average thriller and I recommend it very warmly.

No comments:

Post a Comment