Sunday 6 December 2015

Elly Griffiths - Smoke And Mirrors


Rating: 3/5

Review:
Not really for me



I didn't get on as well with Smoke And Mirrors as most other people seem to have done.  The story is set in Brighton in 1951 where Detective Inspector Edgar Stephens and his two sergeants are investigating the disappearance of two children.  Stephens's old friend, the stage magician Max Mephisto is appearing in pantomime there, and this forms the backdrop to a somewhat convoluted, almost Agatha Christie-esque investigation.

Elly Griffiths writes quite decent prose, but the whole thing felt a bit stolid and plodding, somehow.  The period background didn't really convince me (although she did get the cold bedrooms right!)  Modern usages like "feisty" or "autopsy" (it was very definitely "post mortem" in England in 1951) crept in to mar the dialogue occasionally, and some of the attitudes were frankly absurd for the time.  I could just about accept the female sergeant with views on women's equality which were at least 25 years ahead, but the idea that a Police Inspector would be annoyed with one of his officers for his hostility to homosexuals is just silly.  It would have been his duty then (God help us!) to arrest and prosecute men for homosexual activity, just as much as it would have been for burglary or any other crime.  Like Griffiths, I'm appalled by many of the attitudes of the time, but that doesn't mean you can change the history of them. 

All this wouldn't matter so much if the story was good, but I didn't think it was, really. A rather stodgy feel to the characterisation, the pace and the plot, plus a dénouement which I found very unconvincing made it all a bit of a struggle.   I ended up quite interested in what was going to happen, but not really wanting to have to read to the end to find out.

So - not for me, I'm afraid.  It's not terrible by any means and others have plainly enjoyed it very much, so don't let me put you off, but with neither the background nor the story really engaging me, I can't really recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment