Friday 4 December 2015

R.J. Palacio - Wonder


Rating: 4/5

Review:
A sweet morality tale

I enjoyed this book, which is well written and carried me along very well. The story is of August, a ten-year-old boy with severe facial abnormalities who is about to go to school for the first time, of his experience there and the experience of others. It is told from the different points of view of various young people - August, his older sister and several of the people they know. It is a sweet, simple morality tale of love, acceptance and triumph over prejudice and adversity.

My main reservation was that the various voices seemed almost identical to me which made it hard to really identify with anyone other than August himself. However, it has a laudable subject and I am sure it will appeal to many young readers and to adults who (as I was by the end) are prepared to allow themselves to be shamelessly emotionally manipulated.

No comments:

Post a Comment