Wednesday 2 December 2015

Nicci Gerrard - Missing Persons


Rating: 3/5

Review:
Insightful but hard going

I'm afraid I didn't get on very well with this book. Like several other reviewers here, I have enjoyed Nicci French books but this didn't quite have the same appeal for me.

It is a long, deep psychological study of the effect of the disappearance of a young man on his family - principally his mother - and others. I think it has genuine depth and insight but lacked any real narrative drive, so that we get lots and lots of very well-observed grief-stricken thoughts and behaviour but not much else, which I found pretty hard going after a while. Bereavement is a long, bleak and miserable struggle and with little else happening, the story eventually felt a little like that, too. Even though it was an intelligent, compassionate story and the behaviour of the characters was very believable I got very bogged down and found myself struggling to continue reading.

I don't want to be too critical because it is a well written, thoughtful and insightful book and I can see why many other reviewers enjoyed it. It just didn't really work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment