Friday 19 March 2021

Peter James - Dead Simple

 

Rating: 2/5
 
Review:
Not for me 
 
I’m afraid that Dead Simple wasn’t for me. It’s competently written (but no more than that) and has a potentially interesting plot driver, but I found it unengaging and ultimately silly.

The basic idea is well explained in the publisher’s blurb (and in many hundreds of reviews). It’s a bit implausible but I was prepared to go with it for a decent story...but I didn’t really get one. I found Grace an unlikely and uninteresting protagonist, the plot and prose a bit plodding and some of the developments very unlikely. I stuck with it for a good while, but when it came to a medium using paranormal powers to solve the case I gave up. There really are limits and for me the paranormal as deus ex machina is several steps too far.

Plenty of people have enjoyed this, but I’m afraid I really didn’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment