Wednesday 3 March 2021

Jodi Taylor - Just One Damned Thing After Another

 

Rating: 4/5
 
Review: 
Very enjoyable 
 
I enjoyed Just One Damned Thing After Another a lot. I’ve come to this series late after a recommendation and I’ll certainly be reading more.

The plot is very well summarised in the publisher’s blurb – and could have been awful but certainly isn’t. Time-travelling through history wouldn’t normally get me rushing to read a book, but this has an excellent narrative voice in Max (Dr. Madeleine Maxwell) and an excellent balance of wit, intelligence, suspense, imagination and genuine historical interest. Jodi Taylor writes very well, I found myself very invested in Max’s fate and I enjoyed most of the book very much indeed.

It’s not perfect. I could have done without a rather graphic and gratuitous sex scene, some of the come-uppances were a bit over-staged and convenient and so on, but overall I thought it was a great read. I’m looking forward to more.

No comments:

Post a Comment