Monday 29 March 2021

Jodi Taylor - A Symphony of Echoes

 

 Rating: 5/5

Review:
Thoroughly enjoyable
 
I thoroughly enjoyed A Symphony Of Echoes. It is the second in the St. Mary’s Chronicles and Jodi Taylor really hits her stride here. All the elements we love are here: real wit and genuine humour, excellent historical research, well drawn characters and, of course, Max’s completely engaging narrative voice.

I liked the first book in the series but this seems to me to be a significant improvement. For one thing, the historical missions, to Nineveh and to the court of Mary, Queen of Scots at a pivotal moment in history which will determine whether she or Elizabeth will become queen of England are considerably more interesting that the trips to dinosaurs and pre-history. Plus, the mayhem created by Conor and the threat to St. Mary’s itself continues and is genuinely tense. Max’s character is better rounded here and while the passionate nature of her on/off relationship continues, the ultra-graphic how-many-fingers-went-in-where descriptions are, thankfully, absent – which for me made it all much more convincing and compelling.

A description of this series sounds like something I would normally avoid, but I’m very pleased to say that I’m loving it and I shall continue to visit St. Mary’s with great pleasure. Warmly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment