Wednesday 3 June 2020

Anthony Horowitz - Moonflower Murders


Rating: 3/5

Review:
Good in parts

I’m rather ambivalent about Moonflower Murders. Anthony Horowitz is an excellent writer and parts of this book are very enjoyable, but overall I found it a bit of a slog.

This is the follow-up to The Magpie Murders and again features Susan Ryeland, now an ex-publisher and living in Crete, who again is called on to solve a murder using clues from an Atticus Pund novel, this one which published by her eight years before. A man has been convicted of a horrible killing at a swanky country-house hotel, but a woman who has since disappeared has left a message saying that one of Alan Conway’s books contains the clues to the real murderer.

It’s a classic golden-age set-up which is done very well, and I found the introductory section featuring and narrated by Susan very good. However, the central section of the book is the whole of the Pund mystery, which I found rather dull and hard going. As a pastiche it didn’t grab me in the way some real golden age mysteries do. The final section is Susan’s solution of the mystery which picks up again, but even allowing for the genre is a little over-contrived. It is also somewhat prone to self-congratulation as Horowitz, in the guise of showing how clever Alan Conway’s writing has been, tells us rather insistently how clever he has been. There’s no need for him to do this because he’s so obviously a very skilled and imaginative writer and I found it just a little cringe-inducing.

To be honest, I ended up skimming a good deal of the book-within-a-book. The rest was fun but overall I didn’t enjoy this as much as some of Horowitz’s other work.

(My thanks to Random House, Century for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment