Sunday 21 June 2020

Alex Pavesi - Eight Detectives


Rating: 2/5

Review:
Disappointing


I’m afraid I’m in a minority in not getting on at all well with Eight Detectives. It’s a very ingenious idea but it’s simply not very well done.

The premise is well described in the publisher’s blurb: a professor of mathematics once worked out the maths of detective stories and wrote some short stories himself. A young editor is sent to meet the author and revise them for publication and finds possibly disturbing clues to an old, unsolved murder.

So far, so enticing. My problem is that I didn’t find it well enough written to hold my attention. The stories themselves aren’t very interesting, are sometimes rather repellent and generally very implausible. The prose creaks and plods more than a little and the descriptions of present day events read in a very similar voice to the stories, which doesn’t help. In addition, the “mathematical rules for a murder mystery” are things like “There must be at least one victim” or “There must be at least two suspects” and that the sets of victim, killer, suspects, and detectives may overlap in different ways. It’s hardly earth-shaking stuff. I’m afraid I decided that life was too short for this, gave up around half way and skimmed to the end. Sadly, I found it just as unrewarding as the rest of what I’d read.

Others have plainly enjoyed this book very much and have found the puzzle engrossing, but I was very disappointed in it and can’t recommend it.

(My thanks to Penguin for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment