Thursday 2 April 2020

Ian McEwan - Machines Like Me


Rating: 3/5

Review
Hard going

I’m afraid I didn’t think Machines Like Me was all that good. It had its moments, but I wasn’t sure quite what it was trying to achieve, and in the end I was rather glad to have finished it.

Ian McEwan has been very ambitious here, but for me that ambition stretches in too many directions and doesn’t really succeed in any of them. There is a promising central theme of the difference between a form of consciousness based on extremely complex mathematical algorithms and human consciousness with its almost infinite nuance and subtlety. The difficulty of coping with human relationships without that nuance and without it also to ward off the sense of the ultimate futility of existence is quite well done – but it’s swamped by so many extraneous stories. The background of an alternate history, set in the early 80s seemed pointless to me and a major distraction as it made endless but rather unconvincing political points and McEwan’s digressions into all sorts of tangentially related subjects just seemed rather show-offy to me. Add to this some more distracting and somewhat clumsy points in an implausible adoption story and so on and it all became a bit of an amorphous mess, I’m afraid.

It’s very well written, of course and it had enough about it to keep me reading to the end (with a little judicious skimming) so I’ve rounded 2.5 stars up to 3, but I can only give this a bery qualified recommendation.

(My thanks to Vintage for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment