Wednesday 22 April 2020

Ottessa Moshfegh - Death In Her Hands


Rating: 1/5

Review:
Very disappointing

I had two good goes at this book, but I gave up in the end. I’m very disappointed because I loved My Year Of Rest And Relaxation, but I simply couldn’t get on with Death In Her Hands.

The book is the internal monologue of a widowed and isolated woman whose life seeking solitude and calm is disrupted by finding a disturbing note while walking in the woods. It’s an intriguing beginning...which goes nowhere extremely slowly. I just couldn’t keep going with the endless minutiae of Vesta’s thought processes and what was intended to be an intimate psychological study was, to me, tedious, stodgy and uninteresting.

Otessa Moshfegh is a fine writer, but this one did nothing for me whatsoever, I’m afraid.

(My thanks to Jonathan Cape for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment