Saturday 28 March 2020

Sebastian Barry - A Thousand Moons


Rating: 5/5

Review:
Outstandingly good

This is outstandingly good. I thought Days Without End was brilliant; A Thousand Moons is even better, I think.

Told in the first person by Winona, the Lakota Native American girl we met in Days Without End, it is the story of the immediately post-Civil War events in West Tennessee where they have settled on Lige Magan’s farm. Barry conjures the atmosphere of the time as pre-war attitudes to race and slavery begin to re-assert themselves and continues to create fine, believable characters and an enthralling story.

What makes this really special, though, is Winona’s narrative voice. It is a wonderful mix of the lyrical and poetic which she has gained from her education and reading with the slightly rough, idiosyncratic dialect of Tennessee at that time. I found it riveting, both in what she says and how she says it.

This is definitely one of my books of the year so far and one of the best things I have read for some considerable time. Very warmly recommended.

(My thanks to Faber & Faber for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment