Thursday 20 February 2020

Michael White - Conversations With Isaac Newton


Rating: 5/5

Review:
Very good indeed

I thought this was a really good potted biography of Isaac Newton. It is the third I’ve tried in this series (after Galileo and Einstein) and it is definitely the best so far.

The book is commendably brief and begins with a summary of Newton’s life and achievements, which I thought was excellent. The “conversations” which follow were also very good, reading like genuine conversation and giving an insight into both the man and his work. I thought the sections on how Newton viewed his alchemical studies and his religious research and analysis as an important part of his thinking about the physical world were especially interesting, but it’s all very well done. Michael White doesn’t shy away from Newton’s arrogant, quarrelsome and vindictive personality - but thankfully avoids the sort of vacuous “psychoanalysis” which Frank Manuel indulged in.

Anyone seeking a brief but accurate and readable account of Newton’s extraordinary achievements and lasting influence, plus a good feel for the man himself should enjoy this very much. I was surprised and delighted by how good it was and I can recommend it very warmly.

(My thanks to Watkins publishing for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment