Thursday 13 February 2020

Marina Lewycka - The Good, The Bad and The Little Bit Stupid


Rating: 2/5

Review:
Very disappointing

I was very disappointed in The Good, The Bad And The Little Bit Stupid. I thought Marina Lewycka’s last book, The Lubetkin Legacy was excellent – witty, sharply observed and penetrating in its analysis. This is nothing like as good.

The story is set in immediate post-referendum Yorkshire where the Pantis family have been riven by Brexit arguments and where fraud of all kinds is evident. This includes fake insurance claims, dodgy “lottery wins”, claims made in the referendum campaign and so on, as the ageing Pantis parents split up and their children, especially Sensible Sid, try to cope with the changes in their lives. I’m afraid I found it thoroughly unconvincing and just plain dull much of the time. Lewycka can still come out with a ringing phrase, like one character describing another as “that useless leeching lump of self-regard,” but in spite of good prose I found the characters pretty thin caricatures and the whole thing felt rather familiar and as though I’d read about it before. There are some farcical “comic” scenes which were plain silly rather than comic, and so on. I’m afraid I just gave up around half way, which is unusual for me, but I just didn’t care any more.

I’m sorry to be critical of an author whose work I have enjoyed in the past, but this one really didn’t do it for me.

(My thanks to Penguin Books for an ARC via NetGalley.)

No comments:

Post a Comment